We are very lucky to say that many of the members of CrossFit Modig have been with us for a long time now. Many can even claim to know us when we were training folks in CrossFit style workouts in big box gyms! One of those is Patty Engler, who began training with Corey Townsend early in 2010. The rest is history!
1. Where did you grow up? Canandaigua, NY (one of the Finger Lakes). Moved here in 1992 when I was 23.
2. How long have you been Cross-Fitting? About 5 ½ years – started with Corey at Mountainside Fitness in 2010.
3. What is your favorite WOD? Well I know which one it’s NOT – CrossFit Open WODs 14.5/16.5! I would say anything with rowing.
4. What’s your favorite lift? Deadlifts. If done correctly, they work out just about every muscle in your body, without having to go overhead, which I like!
5. What’s your least favorite CF move? Burpees, hands down. Just ask anyone that was around me during 16.5! Thrusters are a close second.
6. What do you think is the biggest myth about CrossFit? I’d say the biggest myth is that it’s bad for you, but there are many other myths out there; we only eat meat, we only drink unhealthy shakes, it’s a cult, we’re overly competitive, we all have shoulder injuries*. All of these couldn’t be further from the truth.
7. What’s your favorite non-CrossFit activity? Besides sleeping 🙂, I would say biking. I love to ride my bike on weekends. I rode in the MS150 in 2012, right after I had surgery on my arm.
8. What’s your nickname? I’m pretty boring – most people just call me Patty!
9. What do you do for a living? I work in Data Management at United Launch Alliance (ULA).
10. What’s something about you that people probably don’t know? I am a single parent of 13 yr old twins, Nathan & Sarah. Their Dad passed away when they were 5.
11. How has CrossFit changed your life? It has made me a much stronger & healthier person, both mentally & physically. I’ve made some great friends that I wouldn’t have otherwise.
*I have a shoulder injury, but it’s from skiing not CrossFit!