- Where did you grow up? I grew up in Longwood, FL (just north of Orlando). I was born in St. Petersburg and moved to Colorado 20 years ago.
- How long have you been Cross-Fitting? David’s wedding anniversary is my Crossfit anniversary. 3 years since I started on ramp with Billie!
- What is your favorite WOD? Any workout with rowing, and as of late, I also kinda like the assault bikes. I know, crazy right!
- What’s your favorite lift? Push Press – I love shoulder/ overhead work.
- What’s your least favorite CF move? Wall Balls. They are painful in so many ways.
- What do you think is the biggest myth about CrossFit? That you have to be in shape to start. I started at 260 lbs after trying a 30 day diet than helped me drop from 280, and am down to 200 today. I have never been on team sports, and prior to Modig had not worked out in over 5 years, even though I belong to another gym. Scale to your needs and listen to your body. There is no workout today that should prevent you from working out tomorrow!
- What’s your favorite non-CrossFit activity? Family time, hiking. I love weekends with my wife Jenn, and my sons John & Lincoln.
- How have your nutritional habits changed since starting CrossFit? When I started crossfit the following Jan/ Feb was a nutritional challenge. This made me take the step to try and better my diet. I have had quite a few slips and don’t consider myself a clean eater. I still struggle with the fact that I like sweets and sugars!
- What’s your nickname? Dess, just a shortened version of my last name.
- What do you do for a living? I have an interior finishing company that works with home builders on flooring, cabinets, and countertops.
- What’s something about you that people don’t know? I didn’t see snow fall from the sky until I was 19, and never saw enough snow to make a snow ball until my first winter in Colorado when I was 21.
- How has CrossFit changed your life? Committing to CrossFit, has been one of the single best decisions I have ever made. It has given me strength both physically and mentally that I didn’t know I had. CrossFit has allowed me to stay physically fit enough to keep up with my 4 & 7 year old sons, and mentally sharp enough to compete on a new level. Thanks Modig!